[News] DRM, Eavesdropping, Patents, CSS Promote the Rise of "Pirate Parties"

"Pirate parties" raid Europe, US

,----[ Quote ]
| Uncork the bottle of rum, because the pirates are coming. Following in
| the footsteps of Sweden's successful Piratpartiet, a group of German
| activists have founded a Piratenpartei of their own. The party wants to
| carve out space for itself in the traditional political establishment,
| and held a meeting yesterday in which it did all the boring but
| necessary work of launching a new political party in Germany.
|
| [...]
|
| Instead of a "transparent citizenry," the group demands a "transparent
| government" instead, one that does not monitor the activities of its
| citizens at all times. Obviously, the group also has some concerns about
| patents and copyrights, though it does not appear to call for their
| complete abolition. Instead, patents and copyrights would be limited
| and would specifically exclude agriculture (patenting new plant variants,
| for instance), software, and genes. The group also supports open access
| for all research projects done with government funds.

I am sure that France has one such party as well.

I know the feeling of seeing work that's government-funded selfishly
protected through closed source repositories and patents. This does not help
anybody; definitely not science...