Re: [News] Windows Users, Time to Give Linux a Try With a Safe Test Drive

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 30 September 2006 08:07 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Discover Linux the safe way
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| It seems most PC users have heard of Linux and, at the very least, the
>>| idea of open source software has piqued their curiosity. Here, we
>>| explain open source in greater detail so, if you are interested in
>>| getting started with Linux, now is the time to give it a try.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.whatpc.co.uk/computeractive/features/2165148/discover-linux
>
> This is the "tipping point" thing.  Everyone's heard of linux now,
> everyone knows someone, or knows of someone, who uses linux.  It won't
> be long before the pub-stories start to do the rounds, and non-technical
> people get a feel for how big all of this is.  Google is probably the
> best known linux-based web app, but wikipedia is as philosophically
> powerful as the GPL in its way.
>
> When mainstream magazines like the above are featuring pro-linux
> articles, I think we can safely say that average people will have linux
> on their desktops in very short order.
>
> I expect we'll see another wave of newbies looking for help very soon,
> which will be a good sign that the least techy users are now getting
> onto the bandwagon.
>
> After them, I expect we'll be looking for the "free computing appliance"
> crowd to get the real tech-phobics connected.
>
> Oh, and sometime after that, the NHS project will be moved onto FLOSS,
> and might start to a) work and b) cost in.

The other day I was quite surprised to reveral that a colleague of mine--one
who you would never have guessed can explore 'alternatives'--has given a go
to Linux on his laptop. It's rare to find someone who has not heard of
Linux, let alone one who tried it, put it on a partition for a staged
migration, or did a complete 180 (not impulsively either, AKA 'cold
turkey').

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    (S)oftware (U)nd (S)ystem(E)ntwicklung
Tasks: 146 total,   1 running, 143 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie