Re: [News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:3318827.NNOcVBL2xL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology http://tinyurl.com/r474d

I appreciate how the author was willing to admit that it's not all Microsoft's fault:
<quote>
Consider stability, the single biggest selling point of XP. The operating system was meant to stop individual programs from crashing the system, and it succeeded. It takes an especially malignant program to send my copy of XP to a "blue screen of death."

But that's not the only way XP can crash. Drivers, the software that lets XP communicate with hardware components, can still lock up the system. If you've seen an XP laptop fail to wake up from standby, you can probably blame it on buggy drivers.

Microsoft doesn't write most of that software, so it asked the companies that do to submit their work for its own testing. And if users tried to install an untested driver, Windows XP would flash an unmistakable don't-install-this warning.
</quote>

I can't come up with a better solution than what Microsoft came up with: Have an in-house rigorous testing facilities for new drivers, and digitally sign the ones which pass. Allow the user to install the drivers if they really want to, but show a warning clearly showing the dangers of doing so.

I know it's "hip" and "cool" to call Microsoft programmers incompetent, but honestly, what more could have been done at this point? To outright refuse to install any drivers which aren't signed?

The author makes similar statements about installer guidelines (third parties abusing the system by dumping icons on the desktop, the system tray, and not providing an adequate uninstaller), and the admin-user (third parties not developing their software in such a way so that it can run under a user with limited rights).

- Oliver