Re: [News] An Unpopular O/S Celerbrates Half a Decade of Misery

__/ [ thad01 ] on Monday 25 September 2006 19:12 \__

>>> I've just got one criticism of the article; it implies that WinXP
>>> is part of the Win9X line, when really it is part of the WinNT line.
>>> As best I can tell, it is mainly Windows2000 with a new coat of
>>> paint.
>>
>> Switch XP back to Classic and let the kids play "find the diffences". They
>> will soon lose all hope. To elevate their morale, let them play Find
>> Waldo.
>
> As a software developer, I'm less concerned about the visual frosting
> they spackle onto the interface and more interested in the API and the
> runtime internals.  That is why I am not particularly excited by the
> whole aero interface in Vista.  If I want eye candy, I'll run
> Enlightenment on my Penguin box.

Finally! Another fan of the appearance of Enlightenment. *smile* Now, if only
I could combine the flexibility of KDE applications (e.g. Konqueror) with
the visual goodness of Enlightenment and XGL on top... Elive 0.5 was
released a couple of days ago by the way...

I have yet to see Enlightenment with Compiz/XGL or even AIGLX. I have only
seen it with GNOME and KDE (also xfce), but Fluxbox and others seems to be
losing momentum and die out (proportionally, as the userbase increases very
rapidly). XGL, much like transparency/lucency and shadows in KDE, gives
almost nothing, or very little unless demoware is a factor (e.g.
presentation is being delivered). I enabled these yesterday, but it only
lasted half an hour before I had it disabled again. Once in a month or so I
just want to remind myself why I have it disabled. *LOL*

> From poking around the guts of XP a bit, I can't find that it gains me
> anything that I don't already have with Win2000.  It certainly does
> not give me a compelling reason to switch from Linux.

Windows' only strength are the applications provided by third parties to be
exclusively available for Windows; but it's not a strength that should be
attributed to the O/S. Development is being restricted to discriminate
against other platforms. And it's no coincidence, neither is there a logical
decision behind it. It's the way Microsoft manipulates the market of
software (or Web) development using its tools, penalisation of rival
technologies (as it largely resides on the same platform that they control),
and flaunting of 'market share' figures that draw a misleading picture (FUD)
which discourages development for competing platforms. I am referring to
incidents such as the recent announcement where Lenovo offered Preinstalled
SLED 10. A couple of days later (and a couple of threats from Microsoft), it
was decided that the same machines would be delivered with a blank
hard-drive. Coincidence? No. It's about control of 'market share' figures.
People can never track installed base estimates and MSIE-only Web sites make
this an impossibility on the Web, as well.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
  7:20pm  up 67 days  7:32,  10 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.64, 0.66