Re: [News] BBC Still Snubs Linux, Limits/Fully Restricts Access (Offers DRM Route for Macs)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
<mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:59:39 +0100
<b5rjf4-0ff.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> BBC does the right thing: will support Macs with iPlayer
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Of course they couldn't do this without a little bit of snarkiness,
>>| with BBC New Media boss Ashley Highfield saying that Apple's
>>| "proprietary and closed framework for digital rights management
>>| gives us headaches [but] it is one of our top priorities to
>>| re-engineer our proposed BBC iPlayer service to work on Macs."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/18/bbc-does-the-right-thing-will-support-macs-with-iplayer/
>> http://tinyurl.com/2xhd48
>>
>> The Microsoft DRM brainwash all over again. The BBC does _NOT_ need DRM. DRM
>> is a dying technology that Microsoft is still betting on. It's means for
>> controlling the users and abusing their rights.
>>

> These people are completely insane - this is /not/ the right thing, DRM
> is not the right thing at all.  Presumably the new Media Boss is a Media
> Studies graduate and knows precisely *zero* about technology.  So come
> on, Ashley Highfield - what's your technical background?  Why is one
> proprietary and closed system (Microsoft) any better than another
> (Apple)?
>
> What's really bl**dy irritating is that my licence fees are being wasted
> on paying people like this guy.

DRM may not be the right thing, but it's probably the most expedient.
After all...who has the money?  Certainly not you or me.
(Of course I don't pay BBC licensing fees; I'm way over
here on the west side of that bit of land west of the
'pond :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: No such file or directory