Re: [News] BBC Still Snubs Linux, Limits/Fully Restricts Access (Offers DRM Route for Macs)

> BBC does the right thing: will support Macs with iPlayer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Of course they couldn't do this without a little bit of snarkiness,
>| with BBC New Media boss Ashley Highfield saying that Apple's
>| "proprietary and closed framework for digital rights management
>| gives us headaches [but] it is one of our top priorities to
>| re-engineer our proposed BBC iPlayer service to work on Macs."
> `----
>
> http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/18/bbc-does-the-right-thing-will-support-macs-with-iplayer/
> http://tinyurl.com/2xhd48
>
> The Microsoft DRM brainwash all over again. The BBC does _NOT_ need DRM. DRM
> is a dying technology that Microsoft is still betting on. It's means for
> controlling the users and abusing their rights.

These people are completely insane - this is /not/ the right thing, DRM
is not the right thing at all.  Presumably the new Media Boss is a Media
Studies graduate and knows precisely *zero* about technology.  So come
on, Ashley Highfield - what's your technical background?  Why is one
proprietary and closed system (Microsoft) any better than another
(Apple)?

What's really bl**dy irritating is that my licence fees are being wasted
on paying people like this guy.