Re: [News] Does the $100 Laptop Mark a Revolution for Children?

John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:02:49 +0200, p5000011 <p5000011@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>The banal John Locke scribbled:
>>
>>> If they will teach basic computer programming, hardware
>>> funadmentals, etc. etc........then it might be.
>>
>>Due to lack of context it isn't possible to know which part of Roy's
>>post you are referring to.
>>
>>The purpose of the OLPC is not focused on what you wrote above. It is
>>to enable poor kids in countries that lack the infrastructure to
>>provide basic education needs. The Internet is an incredible education
>>resource if used properly. The OLPC at least is an opportunity for
>>millions of poor kids worldwide to have a chance of a decent
>>education. It will of course enable those interested to learn the
>>things you mention but I think that is a very low priority for most of
>>the targeted kids.
>>
>>I would really like to have one for my kids as it looks really cool as
>>well.
> I think the program is well intended, however, my main concern would
> be the lack of electricity. How would they charge the battery and
> connect to the Internet ? I've traveled extensively in Cambodia to
> deliver supplies to impoverished rural schools and I have never seen
> one with power.

The OLPC has its own built in hand cranked generator and uses WiFi for
network connection.

I think I read somewhere that 5 minutes charging would give you 45
minutes of use.

The WiFi works on a mesh network system so in theory, even people out of
range of an access point can still connect to the internet by tunneling
through other machines in the mesh.

That's just from memory, actual details may differ from my recollection.