Re: [News] Jack Thompson Blames Microsoft for Virginia Incident

  • Subject: Re: [News] Jack Thompson Blames Microsoft for Virginia Incident
  • From: flyer <flyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 00:24:47 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In article <12419193.4j2Tieqb3z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...
> Thompson Targets Microsoft in Latest Crusade
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Mr. Gates, your company is potentially legally liable the harm done at
> | Virginia Tech. Your game, a killing simulator, according to the news that
> | used to be in the Post, trained him to enjoy killing and how to kill.
> `----
>
> http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Thompson_Targets_Microsoft_in_Latest_Crusade/
>
> This is harsh. Another news agency wrongly said that CounterStike is a
> Microsoft game. I saw that ysterday. Also in the news:
>
> NBC says it received package from Virginia Tech shooter
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | NBC said Wednesday that it had received a package of photos, videos
> | and a manifesto that is believed to have been mailed by the gunman
> | in the Virginia Tech shootings.
> `----
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/04/18/nbc_says_it_received_package_from_virginia_tech_shooter/
> http://tinyurl.com/2gqmll
>
> Microsoft could get a lot of unwanted attention. Also see their press release
> from yesterday, appended below.
>

> Related:
>
> Record Numbers Turn to Msnbc.com for Coverage of Virginia Tech Tragedy
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | On Monday, overall traffic hit an all-time high, with 15.3 million
> | unique users, a 37 percent increase over the site's all-tim
> | one-day record set during the coverage of Hurricane Katrina.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Based in Redmond, WA, msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC
> | Universal.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070417/117582.html
>

> Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers - $350 million to MediaNews
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33849

The guy was nuts or a Manchurian Candidate.

A sane person can play ANY game and remain sane.

With armed trained staff, the lunatic would have been dead after his
first shot, and 30 kids would still be alive.

Only wannabe dictators or sick puppys declaw cats or disarm good trusted
citizens. Ask the Jews.

Life is a careful BALANCE of raw force directed by an adequate level of
intelligence. Witness the fine chef's knife or the house framer. And if
the chef goes nuts, only THEN take away his knife.

Slaves and declawed cats are both solid examples of unarmed tragedies
awaiting death, the research lab, or the oven.