[News] Microsoft's 'Pirate Until Proven Otherwise' Approach is a Shot in Own Foot

Product Activation Sucks

,----[ Quote ]
| I was in the middle of writing a response detailing all this when I
| thought: ?Wait a minute.? What if Microsoft had done this? What if my copy
| of Windows had ceased to work because I didn?t fit their profile of a
| legitimate user, and I was required to submit an account of my movements to
| Redmond to ensure it would continue to work in the future?
|
| Oh yes, they did. And it was universally reviled
|
| [...]
|
| Product activation sucks. It sucks because your continued use of the
| software you purchased is forever dependent on the continued
| availability of the licence server. And it sucks because your
| licence can be unilaterally revoked because someone, somewhere
| has decided you must be a pirate.
`----

http://fishbowl.pastiche.org/2007/04/15/product_activation_sucks

Here is a nice cartoon which illustrates very well why Vista gives everyone
but Microsoft a reason to smile.

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/948.html