Re: Upgrading GNU/Linux is a Breeze

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> [...Unlike the upgrade from XP to Vista, which is sometimes an impossibility.
> People consistently recommend a clean install. I don't know about Leopard.]
>
> Updating Ubuntu?s Edgy Eft to Feisty Fawn with Automatix2 installed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I've installed Ubuntu 6.10 as a fresh install on a Lenovo S55.
> | I then installed Automatix2 and used it to install everything
> | available on it. Now I'm about to do an upgrade to Ubuntu
> | 7.04, Feisty Fawn.
> |
> | How to upgrade? That's easy.
> `----
>
> http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=1423
>
> The screenshots illustrate how intuitive it is.

Thanks for this bit of information, that will come in useful.  I had
reinstalled Debian Sarge after using Kubuntu and had been working in
it for for past two weeks.  Then recently I decided to back up all my
data files and hidden config files.  Now I have Edubuntu installed.

I was never a fan for Gnome desktop, but they did a decent job on this
one.  The Synaptic updater has been really easy to use.  I have the
non-free / proprietary repositories turned on.  In short order, I had
it reinstalled, restored all my Thunderbird and FireFox shortcuts, E-
mails, settings, etc. quickly restored.  It was a blast.

For now, I'm sticking with Gnome.  Through Synaptic, it was a breeze
to install the Adobe Macromedia Flash latest version.  Now FireFox has
flash.

Meanwhile, I also have another success story.  I received my Debian
Sarge 3.1r4 DVD's from http://www.osdisc.com about a week after
ordering around March 1.  They have a 30 day warranty on the media.
Being busy, I didn't get around until trying to install March 31.  I
could not read either DVD.  I then E-mailed Osdisc.  Since I could not
read disks and they just released 3.1r5, I asked if they could send
out r5 instead.  They replied apologetically and I received an r5
replacement set a week later.

Talk about service!  The Open Source community is fantastic to deal
with.  If someone in North America is looking for an Open Source media
outlet, I have had good success with them in the couple orders I have
sent, they have my vote.

--
HPT