Re: [News] Microsoft in Trouble, Wants to Join an Open Source Group (Rumour)

__/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 12 April 2007 00:54 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Guy Fawkes belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>>> http://www.informationarbitrage.com/2007/04/microsoft_phili.html
>
> Ooops, just saw this from that link:
>
>    This is a relic of old-line consumer products companies like Philip
>    Morris, or fraudsters like Miniscribe who literally shipped bricks in
>    lieu of disk drives to hit sales targets.
>
> So is Vista a pack of carcinogenic cigarettes, or a brick?
>
> Either way, Ballmer may be shitting bricks at this point.
>
>    Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company or a sales
>    force within a company inflates its sales figures by forcing more
>    products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable
>    of selling to the world at large.
>
>    . . .
>
>    We have a game we play around the office here with Microsoft press
>    releases. The game is, "Find the words that make the headline true."
>    It's not always easy.
>
>    . . .
>
>    Sony, like Microsoft, announces units shipped, not actually sold.
>    This allows both companies to advertise sales numbers based on how
>    many units they can force retailers to accept, not on how many units
>    customers actually buy; both have considerable market power to push
>    excess unsold inventory into the channel.
>
> You there, Otto?  You there?

I will always remember very well what Steve Ballmer told his investors over a
month ago:

Ballmer delivers sobering message at Microsoft event

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer tempered the
| expectations of analysts at an event Thursday, telling them
| their predictions for sales of the company's new operating
| system are too high, while those for its operating expenses
| may be too low.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ballmer-delivers-sobering-message-microsoft/story.aspx?guid=%7BCFADFB4D%2D7D86%2D4A0A%2DA233%2D1D18F48F82F7%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2juebs

Translation: we hyped it all up, people expected a bloom for the whole
industry, but we've got nothing. Vista doesn't sell much.

There were articles that phrased it much worse. The game was over.

The PR department realised that while you need to be honest to investors, the
public can be deceived.

A key part of your good quotes is this:

        "force retailers to accept"

Microsoft shoves unwanted products, throwing them at the retailers, as if
preinstalling the damn thing on all PCs (the contracts make this a
requirement) isn't enough.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows all-in-one: Word, IE (for E-mail) & iTunes
         run-level 5  Mar 11 15:57                   last=S