Re: [News] AmaroK Reaches Out to Other Platforms

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 28 April 2007 06:13 \__

>> Amarok2 builds on Windows
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Credits go to my fellow Amarok developer Dan Meltzer, who spent the
>> | last two days tweaking the source to get this running. The amazing
>> | part here is that it only took two days. Basically most of Amarok
>> | was already so portable that it compiled without changes. I really
>> | expected it to be much more work. Shows that it pays off to use an
>> | excellent cross-platform toolkit like Qt in the first place.
>> `----
>>
>> http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/374-Amarok2-builds-on-Windows.html
>>
>> This will help people use more Linux/FLOSS applications before jumping
>> over to the Linux universe. Just like Firefox and OpenOffice...
>
> A phrase just occurred to me: Linux by the back door.
>
> Or more likely just *FOSS*, initially at least.

The transition to a platform that is not only more secure, rebust, and
flexible is also a free one. I can't see why anyone should refuse this.
People who migrate from Macs to Linux take this route as well.

--
                ~~ With kind regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
Cpu(s):  23.6% user,   3.1% system,   0.6% nice,  72.7% idle