Re: [News] Nero 3 Beta for Linux Released, to Compete with Many Open Source Programs

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
> Verily I say unto thee, that spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx spake thusly:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>>> How-To: Play Blu-ray and HD DVD Movie Discs in Linux
>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>
>>> http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/3737/how-to_play_blu-ray
>>
>>> Just don't do this in France or the US.
>>
>> Aye, having the AUDACITY to play your own property on your own machine.
>> The cheek of it, lock them all up, that's what I say.
>> :)

> Ah but that's where the content providers have you by the gonads. You
> don't *own* anything, you've been granted a license ... permission to
> view their content. That's all.

You own the disk you bought it on.
Even if the content on the disk doesn't belong to you, the disk is
physically your property.

> And then, in later years, when the media on which that content is stored
> has degraded to the point of being unusable, the content providers
> demand that you pay *yet again* to replace that "permission" in the form
> of new media.

And when the content finally, in 200 years time, falls out of the copyright
trap... Who's to bet they'll refuse to release the DRM codes?
:)

> But wait a minute ... didn't you already pay for permission? The money
> you spend was not for ownership of a *product*, was it? The cost of the
> physical materials was mere pennies; the vast majority of what you paid
> was for a *licence*, so how come you need to pay the *full price* for
> *replacement media*? Surely the cost the *second time around* should be
> material costs only, since you already "own" the permission to view the
> content.

They're a bunch of con artists... We've known that for decades.
It's only now in this day of digital, exact copy technology that they're
making their final death throe struggle...

> It's a scam, pure and simple. A license to print money.

Indeed.
|   spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)|  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|            in            |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |