Re: Open Source is better than Microsoft, Part I

On Aug 17, 12:56 am, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> tblanchard...@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Here's why:
>
> > 1) Once installed it doesn't have to be activated
>
> http://www.thelinuxstore.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&products...
>
> http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/activation.html
>
> http://wakizaki.wordpress.com/2006/06/26/what-product-activation-on-l...
>
> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6345_11-6060076.html

The first one is a distro I've never heard of, the second isn't the
online activation I'm talking about, the third is Xandros, the fourth
is RHEL, which doesn't suprise me since they're talking about they're
high end server software.  Come up with areal argument for this.

> > 2) Once installed it doesn't deactivate itself because of a RAM
> > upgrade
>
> That's just a rare bug.

Windows is full of "rare bug" which seem to happen all the time, just
not the same one.

> > 3) You don't have to install Windows Genuine Advantage tool
>
> That's just bogus.  They can only enforce that kind of crap because there's
> no good alternative operating environment.

That was a weak comeback.

> > 4) If your GUI crashes, it doesn't take you computer down
>
> And what do you do when your GUI+mouse+keyboard hard-locks under Linux,
> which has happened to me several times?

I think you're lying here.

> > 5) Open Office is better than Microshaft Office
>
> ha!  OO is good for the price ($0.00), but you'd have to be a moron to pay
> $69 for that stuff.  The Base component is just flat-out a piece of crud.

ha! I wouldn't shell out  $399.00 for Magwa Shaft Office -- and it's a
piece of crud.

> > 6) Licensing is easier to understand
>
> I'm not so sure about that.

Well it is free, I can install as many as I want in my house, or on my
network without being worried about MagwaShaft

> > 7) Clients don't have to pay to access servers
>
> "You may purchase additional Premium User licenses for your Xandros Scalix
> Server. Licenses are available in increments of 5, 10, 25, 50 and 100."
>
> www.xandros.com

What is your fascination with Xandros?  It's not the only distro out
there, and if they want to go corporate they can.  Not to mention you
seem to be picking whichever distro has a fighting and using that, I'm
only telling you about one, not many.

> > 8) I don't necessarily have to work on patch Tuesday
>
> ?
Sorry you don't get it.

> > 9) Restarting isn't the answer to everything
>
>  http://www.angelfire.com/planet/dfs0/Mepis_reboot.png

Uh, I was talking about the other 99% of things that go wrong with
MagwaShaft products

> > 10) No such thing as Event Skewer
>
> http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-gnome-system-log-viewer/

Ok, let's take it a step further and discuss clarity of the event
being viewed, because apparently you've never compared the two.

> > 11) No Registry
>
> 30 different config files scattered all over.

They're not scattered all over, and the registry doesn't just contain
configuration information

> > 12) No IE
>
> Though there is that kludge-on-kludge-on-kludge Konqueror.

FireFox

> > 13) I don't have to pay to make an MS SQL connection when developing
> > with MS Visual Studio
>
> SQL Server Express and Visual Studio Express: free!

Ok, I didn't know about that one.

> > 14) None of the lines of source code for the OS have comments like
> > this:  "I don't know why this works, it just does, don't touch it"
>
> "I'm just compiling KDE 3.1 - in the middle of part of the code (for KATE
> the editor I think) is
>
> warning: why does this work?"
>
> http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/01/04/172229.shtml?tid=133

No comment.

> > 15) You can check /var/log/messages and find out exactly what's
> > happening on the computer
>
> Why would you have to in the first place?  I mean, if Linux is 1/10th as
> good as cola claims it is, you should never have to look at /var/log/
>
> Whoops!

So before you'll accept Linux it has to be perfect, and never have a
problem? Whose fantasizing now? I hope you don't think Windows is
perfect.

> > 16) It doesn't take 7 different programs dedicated solely to security
> > to protect my computer
>
> Up to now I wasn't sure, but I see you really are a lying Linux liar.

It's ok, you can just admit you don't have an answer to that one.

> > 17) SSH
>
> See putty

Who cares about putty? Windows has Terminal Server and Remote Desktop
that's the comparison.  Both of which constantly lock me out of the
computers I try to remotely administer because they can't close the
connections properly.

http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

> > 19) I have a choice of OS and there's no such thing as Basic vs.
> > Premium packaging
>
> Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop
> Suse Linux Enterprise Server
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Desktop
> Red Hat Enterprise Server
>
> Ubuntu Desktop Edition
> Ubuntu Server Edition
>
> Mandriva Corporate Desktop
> Mandriva Corporate Server
>
> Xandros Desktop Home
> Xandros Desktop Premium
> Xandros Desktop Professional
> Xandros Desktop Open Circulation
> Xandros Server

Again you're compiling several companies, I'm just talking about one.

> > 20) GIMP comes with my computer
>
> s/comes with/craps on
>
> You bought a preinstalled Linux system.  From where?

Dude, it's in every distro, grow up.

> > more to come...
>
> First you should respond to your ignorance here, but I'm 100% sure you
> won't.  When a cola nut is shown to be uninformed, the response is ALWAYS to
> slink away and keep posting the same lame stuff.
Does this mean you're wrong?  With all the half-truthed misinformation
you just posted that was pretty bold to call me "uninformed".