[News] Proprietary Software Gradually Devoured by Free Software (Study and Success Story)

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software Gradually Devoured by Free Software (Study and Success Story)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:12:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Creating an Open Source Strategy - Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| But before I start, here are some predictions from Gartner:
|
|     * By 2010, 75 percent of mainstream IT shops will have a formal open
|       source acquisition policy in place.
|     * By 2008, open source will compete with closed source in every
|       infrastructure market.
|     * By 2010, mainstream IT shops will consider open source for 80 percent
|       of their infrastructure software needs.
|     * By 2010, mainstream IT shops will consider open source for 25 percent
|       of their business software needs.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/creating-an-open-source-strategy-part-2-18396

Open source takes on monster IT firms

,----[ Quote ]
| The company, which sells a product based on the open source PostgreSQL
| database, is another in a long line of firms using open source products to
| take on bigger, more established players.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/information-management/news/122819/open-source-takes-on-monster-it-firms.html

Related:

Meet the 'New Disruptors': Executives Finding Success in Shaking Up Their
Industries

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat develops and provides support for Linux software services.
|
| [...]
|
| "I have an amazing amount of respect for what Bob built," he added. "I
| think Red Hat is one of the most successful companies to ever come from
| NC, and as I told Bob that night I just hope that Motricity will one day
| be seen in the same league as companies like Red Hat and SAS here in
| the triangle!"
`----

http://www.localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/story/1451389/

Constructive disruption: an enterprise perspective on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It was refreshing to hear how ardently each panelist spoke of the
| benefits of open source. These are significant, global brand names,
| and each is leveraging open source to discover value and drive
| innovation. The tide surely has turned in open source's favor.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/constructive_di.html

Credit Suisse Disruptive Technology Portfolio Mover Of The Week: Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| This was the second quarter in a row in which Red Hat's multiyear deals
| grew significantly compared with the prior year, and some investors
| probably see this as a sign that the company is discounting
| contracts. Pricing pressure of this sort is a particularly
| important issue for investors now that Oracle is offering a
| discounted alternative to Red Hat.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198800838

Having Fun With Disruptive Models

,----[ Quote ]
| Net software infrastructure is another classic example. Imagine a world
| where no free Linux or Apache or MySQL existed and then imagine how
| many billions Microsoft and Sun have lost because they do.
|
| [...]
|
| The answer to the business model for static media is, unless someone has
| a flash of business genius, likely to be that beautiful, ugly word "free."
| Free, of course, comes in more shades than Eskimo snow, but whatever shade
| of free your music is, if you are paying .001 cents more on a can of Coke,
| you're not going to be complaining much. The money will still be flowing,
| but the bill to you will be bundled into some other cost like the
| advertising margin in your groceries. With all this "free," it's easy to
| think dot-com stands for dot-communism, but in reality, it's just an
| efficient market at work. In the meantime, we should all be trying to think
| up crazy ideas like text adverts in little boxes down the side of Web
| pages.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/16/microsoft-google-oracle-business-model-pf-guru-in_cc_0918soapbox_inl.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/qqd5y

Disruption in the Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| Many corporate IT managers considered Linux to be woefully inadequate
| in its early days and for the most part, they were right.  But it
| was good enough for quick and dirty applications and for
| provisioning non-critical systems like file & print servers and
| web servers.  As the web started to grow in importance, those
| niche applications became more prevalent and Linux continued to
| get better.  Now you find Linux in pretty much every corporate
| data center in the world.
`----

http://www.theopenforce.com/2007/01/disruption_in_t.html

Standards and Disruptive Technologies