Re: Novell Promises Not to Pull an SCO, OpenSUSE 10.3 Beta Snapshot

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Wednesday 15 August 2007 07:53 : \____

> On Aug 14, 11:20 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Novell doesn't want to be the next SCO
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We're not interested in suing people over Unix," Novell spokesman Bruce
>> | Lowry said. "We're not even in the Unix business anymore."
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070814/tc_infoworld/91000
>
> This statement is surprising:
>
> "There is nothing holding Novell back from suing existing Unix
> vendors. Even Novell's Linux-Windows interoperability deal with
> Microsoft does not preclude the two companies from suing each other.
> Lowry declined to speculate on the outcome of the outstanding claims
> of the case."

A recent ZDNet (Asia/Australia) article stated that Novell's latest patent
lawyer hire could indicate intent to sue or defend. I reckoned it had
something to do with SCO, but I'm no longer quite so sure. I wish Novell well,
but I won't touch (therefore rely on) anything from them. I won't recommend
them either. They opened up the door to too much trouble. Dragoon admitted (in
an interview) that Novell did something selfish (i.e. something that hurts
other Linux vendors). In the speech given in South Africa, the Microsoft FUD
was described as a competitive advantage (to Novell).

Speak about arrogance.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
Cpu(s): 27.8%us,  4.7%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.2%id,  4.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st