[News] GNU/Linux Revives Old PCs with ClarkConnect

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Revives Old PCs with ClarkConnect
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:44:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ClarkConnect: Turns an Average PC into a Powerful Network Server

,----[ Quote ]
| Nowadays, there are hundreds of Linux distributions targeting a diverse set
| of consumers and their number keeps on rising. While many of these
| distributions introduce themselves as an universal solution to all our Linux
| needs, others are taking a more specific role, catering to a specific set of
| users. One such distribution is ClarkConnect which is specifically targeted
| at servers. It tries to provide a complete, yet secured out-of-the-box server
| features.
`----

http://www.linuxlove.org/2007/12/10/clarkconnect-turns-an-average-pc-into-a-powerful-network-server/

Related:

Stop! Don't trash those old PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly enough, there is another operating system that most people are
| not familiar with called Linux. Linux (and its earlier version UNIX) have
| been around for a long time helping us place phones calls and providing
| access to the Internet. Linux, up until this point, has been mostly behind
| the scenes just doing its job and doing it well. You can get started with
| Linux at www.linux.org.
`----

http://www.reporter-times.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=91254&format=html

Turn your computer into a media center PC with GeeXBoX 1.1

,----[ Quote ]
| GeeXBoX 1.1 is a mere 8.9MB ISO download. Its hardware requirements are
| minimal -- a Pentium II 400MHz processor and 64MB of RAM are enough to power
| GeeXBoX -- and of course you'll need a CD/DVD drive to play your media.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118210

How To Revive An Old PC With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sure, it could go to the landfill, or you might be able to get a
| tax deduction from donating it to a local school. Or, using a
| Linux-based operating system, you could turn it into a
| functional desktop, browser, and e-mail client, and put it
| back to work.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=198500289

How to revive an old PC

,----[ Quote ]
| For better performance, most LiveCD distros can be installed onto a hard
| disk, but the process isn't as easy as it is with a conventional distro.
| There's still some hope, though. Currently the Ubuntu Lite project is working
| on a special customised release of Ubuntu for very low-end PCs. Similarly,
| the RULE Project offers a way to install current and recent releases of Red
| Hat's Fedora on low-end machines.

Expert shares secrets to saving thousands with K12LTSP

,----[ Quote ]
| The K12 Linux Terminal Server Project (K12LTSP) is a thin client
| distribution designed for use in schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Arkiletian estimates that his lab cost only $4,000 to set up --
| about a tenth the cost of buying replacement workstations.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/16/1717243&tid=23&tid=46

Column: Linux lets you avoid upgrading computer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070108/NEWS01/701080307