Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Monday 03 December 2007 03:25 : \____

>> That's just what /I/ thought. Also, wouldn't that suggest that the next
>> iteration (PS3) inherits these POSIX roots? Anyway, I doubt the whole thing
>> is true. It'll be intresting to see over the next 5 years how many PS3
>> owners will experiment with PS3 Linuxes, which will sooner or later have
>> full access to the graphics engine (out of the box), making it a full-blown
>> Cell-based personal computer (or rendering farm, or whatever).
>
> If the rumors about the 3D breakthrough are true, I might be one of
> those people playing with PS3 Linux.  :)
>
> Thad

QuakeWars (ET) has just come to Linux (native even) and it's significantly
faster on Linux than it is on Vista (even without a Cell beast). There are
some other state-of-the-art games coming to Linux.

To say more about Blu-Ray, dumping copies of them onto the Linux partition has
been possible since the start, but they could not be decrypted at the time. I
think BR DRM was cracked a couple of months ago, so...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community