[News] [OT] Cringely on AT&T and Google; Is It Fighting Net Nuetrality, Freedom of Speech?

  • Subject: [News] [OT] Cringely on AT&T and Google; Is It Fighting Net Nuetrality, Freedom of Speech?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 23:14:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
When Networks Collide: AT&T suddenly doesn't like Apple so much.

,----[ Quote ]
| What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&T and Apple is the
| upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&T's discovery that --
| as I have predicted for weeks -- Apple will be joining Google in bidding.
| AT&T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple would have
| precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson
| understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they
| really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate
| body blow.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20071129_003521.html

AT&T is vicious. Examples below.

Related:

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/court_slames_att_wireless_contract_clause/

AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
| filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
| AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
| reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
| from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
| some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071114-att-takes-another-step-towards-filtered-network-with-investment-in-vobile.html
http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

Hey, AT&T, What's the Value of a Closed Network Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| Closed networks, its proponents maintain, offer a trade-off. Individuals or
| outside developers can't make any changes or improvements to it. But since
| the network and its applications are controlled at a single source,
| individuals are supposed to get an easier experience in which they don't have
| to think about the network, just what they're doing on it. Trust the network.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/11/hey_att_whats_t.html

How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/10/whitacre_wins_big/