Re: Call to Remove Mono/.NET/Patent Mess from Ubuntu GNU/Linux

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 15 December 2007 18:19 : \____

>> ____/ cc on Saturday 15 December 2007 13:24 : \____
>
>>> So stop arguing about it. Stop posting about it. Start developing
>>> in Java. Download something else besides Ubuntu. Nothing about the
>>> inclusion of Mono forces anyone to develop .net code. If it's such
>>> a bad fucking thing, then don't use it. Freedom of choice.
>>
>> I don't know if you're in a trollish mood today, but I'll just
>> respond by adding that Mono is increasingly being forcefed,
>
> Well if he actually *used* GNU/Linux rather than just bitched about it,
> then he'd know that it is becoming increasingly difficult to disentangle
> Mono from many distributions, including the one I've spent a good
> portion of my life supporting. Ubuntu is just the tip of the iceberg.
> Novell (de Icaza) is of course the wellspring from which this particular
> poison flows, which then taints Gnome, and so every distro that uses it
> (which is probably most of them).
>
> That "Freedom of choice", is rapidly diminishing down to just one of two
> options; use a prebuilt distro poisoned by Mono, or build your own from
> scratch. It isn't quite there yet, but it's coming. Soon.

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/08/microsofts-fail.html

Stephane Rodriguez:

"As for Miguel's pseudo-rebuttal, perhaps it's time to ask yourself two
things :

1) Can you rebutt real examples? I think you can rebutt statements like "we are
open and transparent", but I don't think you can rebutt real examples.

2) Miguel works for Microsoft (he thinks it's a pride not to be officially on
MS payroll, nevermind the bulk of Novell revenues are a direct influx from
MS). But can you guess the retaliation if he said anything negative about this
stuff? You have to admit it, he's got no freedom in speech in that very area,
plus Microsoft is using him as a tool to break the open source community
apart."

I don't know if you've been following comments on the Foundation's ML and
BN.com, but we've found out that he has probably played a role in shilling for
OOMXL (Jeff said he had "little impact") and GNOME developers use that as a
competitive advantage. This fiasco is not yet fully resolved, but we find out
more and more every week.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you