Re: Vista sets 2007 land-speed record for copying and deleting

____/ philo on Friday 21 December 2007 15:13 : \____

http://www.forbes.com/2006/11/30/books-information-preservation-tech-media_cx_ee_books06_1201acid.html?partner=yahootix

>> > Hmmm...
>> > maybe instead og backing up my data to DVD's
>> > I should enscribe my data onto clay tablets!
>>
>> DVDs? That's so yesterday. They now have 'new and improved' HD. Sooner or
>> later, DVD drives will be as hard to find as videotapes and a VCR.
> Microsoft
>> doesn't even want HD-DVD to succeed. In fact, it's claimed to be fuelling
>> formats war so that DRM (expireable) content becomes the new 'storage'
> media.
>> OOXML in MSO07 already has encryption/DRM. So does Vista and XBox260
> (VoD).
>>

> That's true...HD's are so cheap now that one can do backups to several of
> them.
> I have most of my stuff backed up on two seperate drives *and* DVD's.

If it's not scripted (media sometimes needs physical insertion/ejection), then
high-capacity external hard-drives might be a good alternative (I have two
externals and two internals in different sites, but a lot of my data is online
anyway).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymous posters are more frequently disregarded
Swap:  1510068k total,   117332k used,  1392736k free,   166836k cached