Re: [News] At Least 100,000 Businesses Have Dumped Microsoft Office

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 25 February 2007 07:05 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 09:43 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Um, interesting - 100 downloads of OpenOffice for every user of Google
>>> Apps.  There should be a massive potential for support there, too.
>>>
>>> <snip Mr Phipps>
>>
>> This does not include all the people who get OpenOffice in the form of a
>> CD-ROM or even a USB pen (e.g. 175,000 French students). That's why
>> download count says too little and only paid-for market surveys is what
>> you're left with. With the rise of ODF, the attraction of OpenOffice and
>> other ODF-friendly software will soar. IBM is in this game too (Lotus)...
>> not just Google, KDE, Abiword... Corel and Novell have Microsoft grabbing
>> them by the balls, so they also intend to offer an OOXML option (they'll
>> never manage to get this replicated.... oops... I mean implemented).
>>

> As OpenOffice is included with Debian, then a count of the number of
> Debian downloads would also be of interest, I suppose.  But as you say,
> trying to count installations of free software is, in the end, a
> fruitless activity.

Let's not rely on the Linux Counter either. Perhaps there are only a hundred
thousand of us.... *eyes roll* while Canonical gauges repository requests
from more than 8 million Ubuntu PCs... and that's just the ones that are
connected to the Web and install additional stuff. One distribution among
many.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S