Re: [News] At Least 100,000 Businesses Have Dumped Microsoft Office

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 07:48 \__

>> Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000
>> businesses
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
>>| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
>>| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
>>| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
>>| enterprise product boss.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/9889/53/
>>

> If google apps have managed 100,000 SMEs, how many are using Open
> Office, I wonder?

Nobody knows. It's open source and it doesn't phone home. All we have are
some download counters from last year.

100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon's official response explained the business rationale behind
| offering support for OpenOffice.org: "OpenOffice.org has becomep
| henomenally successful, Sun alone has shipped more than 70 million
| copies of OpenOffice.org 2.0," he said. "Out there, there
| are maybe 100 million copies of OpenOffice.org. It would be
| senseless to ignore that opportunity."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/100000000_openo.html

Worry not however. MSOffice prices go up, support is now 50% more expensive
(they did this quietly a fortnight ago) and this squeeze for cash may
obscure the market share realities when financial figures come out. This
squeeze has a cost, as one would expect. when it gets off a point of
equilibrium (or sanity) people move to Google, OOo, even Linux...

...Which is why we should celebrate every time Microsoft pulls the knob up on
pricing and piracy crackdowns.

It's like the gambler who keeps doubling the sum every time he loses. When
the maximum bet threshold is reached, he hasn't cash, not a car, nor a
house. He got greedy. But he thought he "had everything under control".
Microsoft is a naive gambler. Let it play.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S