Re: [News] At Least 100,000 Businesses Have Dumped Microsoft Office

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 09:43 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 24 February 2007 07:48 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> If google apps have managed 100,000 SMEs, how many are using Open
>>> Office, I wonder?
>>
>> Nobody knows. It's open source and it doesn't phone home. All we have are
>> some download counters from last year.
>>
>> 100,000,000 OpenOffice.org fans can't be wrong
>
> Um, interesting - 100 downloads of OpenOffice for every user of Google
> Apps.  There should be a massive potential for support there, too.
>
> <snip Mr Phipps>

This does not include all the people who get OpenOffice in the form of a
CD-ROM or even a USB pen (e.g. 175,000 French students). That's why download
count says too little and only paid-for market surveys is what you're left
with. With the rise of ODF, the attraction of OpenOffice and other
ODF-friendly software will soar. IBM is in this game too (Lotus)... not just
Google, KDE, Abiword... Corel and Novell have Microsoft grabbing them by the
balls, so they also intend to offer an OOXML option (they'll never manage to
get this replicated.... oops... I mean implemented).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
roy      pts/4                         Fri Feb 23 06:41   still logged in