[News] Even Patent FUD and Lockins Failed to Stop Nationwide Linux/OSS Migrations

Sophists for patent deals, please stand up!

,----[ Quote ]
| There you have it. We don't really know why it's needed, but it's
| there. So we win! I think Brad is amazingly smart but I think he,
| like James, is crippled by the stupidity of the position he has to defend.
|
| So, let's get back to reality, James. The reality is that customers
| are choosing open source in droves. Not because of a needless
| Microsoft/Novell pact. But because it works. Because it creates
| tremendous economic value.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/02/sophists_for_pa.html

And then comes the document formats debate, which will ultimately put an end
to the cash cow and/or lower pricing.

How Open Formats Encouraged Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| If the PDP-11's designers had decided to copy the byte-ordering used by
| IBM, the Unix world would not have been pushed toward encoding data in
| ASCII, and the unintended consequential openness in the Unix/GNU/Linux
| world might never have come about.
`----

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2007/02/22/open-formats-open-source.html

This comes amid quite a lot of large migrations to Linux. I'm trying to keep
track of those who don't migrate too quietly. The mainstream press is a
little hush-hush on the matter (maybe obedience to Microsoft).