Re: [News] Vista Voice Recognition Drives Guy to GNU/Linux

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 02 January 2007 12:37 \__

http://www.videorambler.com/2006/07/windows-vista-speech-recognition-not.html

>> Back to posting 6 month old articles, I see.
>
> It's a common problem here.

I found it in a news feed (Topix) but forgot to verify that the date is
recent. My bad.

>> FYI, the problem with the Vista speech recognition demo was hardware (too
>> high a gain), though the software should have compensated for it (which it
>> didn't).
>
> Speech recognition is a nearly impossible task, anyway, in my opinion.

It has been only 4 minutes since you heralded that you would not respond to
paid participants, planted by a convicted monopolist.

> Listen to a speaker of a language you know only a little of, and it
> becomes obvious that the only way to separate out words from normal
> speech is to somewhat know already what the conversation is about.

In Microsoft, people speak the language of money. Clarity and ethics are a
luxury that's hard to afford. Just look at this one:

Microsoft : Arrogance leads to Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| Chatting with the Microsoft senior sales people, I was struck by
| their incredible arrogance. They know the company?s products are good,
| but they have no qualms whatsoever about charging top dollar as a
| result.
|
| It reminds us how Microsoft used to behave when it comes to their
| products' security records. IE5 and 6 were nothing short of being
| proper Swiss Cheese with loads of holes in them but hey, they had 95%
| of the browser market at that time and couldn't care less.
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=514

Also, take a tour through the financial sites. It's quite shoking sometimes
because of difference in eprspective. To them, unethecal business practices
are unimportant as long as one gets away with it (even in court where it's a
legal breach) and the stocks perform well. Never mind buybacks, acquisitions
of the competition, stifling of the competition, etc. Not only is it
acceptable to investors, it's sometimes encourages.

Take sysinterneals for example. Not only has Microsoft taken over this
threat, but it also took its Open Source (inc. Linux) code and closed it,
despite Rousinovich's (spelling?) promise, made when the deal was struck.

--
                        ~~ Kind greetings and happy holidays!

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Cpu(s):  21.4% user,   3.0% system,   1.1% nice,  74.5% idle