Re: [News] Lindows Man (Kevin Carmony) Brags About ODF Killer

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 11 July 2007 14:56 : \____

>> Linspire Announces Availability of Open XML Translator for Linspire,
>> Freespire
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Linspire, Inc., developer of the Linspire commercial and Freespire
>>| community desktop Linux operating systems, today announced the immediate
>>| availability of the Open XML Translator within their latest released
>>| Freespire and Linspire products.
>> `----
>>
>> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-07-11-010-26-NW-DT-MS
>>
>> Shame on them. They took the money to support an abusive manipulative
>> monopoly.
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
>>| caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
>>| behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
>>| and waiting, Mark.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12899/1090/
>
> Microsoft are having a huge push at the moment to decommoditise free
> software;  great strides have been made by getting binary-only
> components into the Linux kernel, and subsequently by the amazingly
> improbable situation where ECMA have approved a second standard,
> ostensibly doing exactly the same thing as the one they already have.
> ECMA really should be disbanded.
>
> The really frightening thing is how many people here, who should know
> better, are happy with this situation.

Blissful ignorance. ECMA is a coin-in-the-slot standards organisation. It's
meaningless. If it's considered as something with authority, then the world
has gone mad. It has just approved a spec with some very serious mathematical
mistake (among many more). That can cost life.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?