Re: [News] Linux Prepared for Desktop, Even if Kernel Forking is Required

____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 27 July 2007 01:32 : \____

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13710&Itemid=1091

http://www.nuxified.org/article/fork_a_kernel_kill_an_os_and_revolutionize_the_desktop

>> CK could get some support from companies that thrive in the desktop, such
>> as Canonical.
>

> For as much hype that the ck-kernel sources got... I never found the
> performance promises that were made. If Con does a fork, it'll be a very
> lonely road... It's simply not needed.

True, but some people suggest that branching for embedded devices and the
desktop would help. CK's work probably becomes obsolete because of CFS, which
has just been merged or will soon be merged and released with 2.6.23. Rather
than admit that his work is replaced by a rewrite/redesign, he threw a towel
angrily. A lot of components in the kernel get wiped and replaced. That's how
good development works. Cruft and poor code/design must go.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie