Re: Vista market share put into perspective

Op Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:37:23 -0400, schreef Dr. Pain:

> "Richard Rasker" <spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

[snip]
>> This really clears things up. From the article -
>>
>>> Microsoft is clearly shipping more operating systems this time around.
>>> That translates to higher sales and profits. Microsoft's operating
>>> system revenue between October 2006 and the end of March this year --
>>> the quarter when it began shipping Vista and pre-selling it to
>>> consumers, and the quarter of its official release -- was $7.86
>>> billion. That is 72% higher than its revenue in the same quarters
>>> around XP's launch, $4.57 billion.

>> And that wouldn't be because Vista is about twice as expensive as XP?
>
> No. It's because 37.4 million copies of Vista were sold compared to only
> 17.2 million copies of XP. With retards ^H^H^H^H advocates like you its no
> wonder lienux is on less than 1% of desktops.

Ah goodie, more numbers. I *like* numbers! For starters, we'll have two
numbers: one that says that Vista has sold approximately 37,5 million
copies, and one that says that  Microsoft booked a revenue of $7.86bn in
the quarters around Vista's launch - OK, nothing unexpected here. I
guess a substantial chunk (say, 25%) of this revenue isn't actually from
Vista sales, but from MS Office - and since there are no other winning
horses in the Microsoft stable, this should cover most of the revenue.
Let's say that Vista sales account for three quarters of this revenue, or
some $150 per copy of Vista, and MS Office accounting for the rest. Fine
with me.

Then there's the XP numbers: 17.2 million XP copies with a revenue of
$4.57bn. Even when subtracting 25% for MS Office, this equates to $199
*per copy* of XP on average? Something here doesn't add up. Wasn't XP
supposed to be something in the region of $99 per OEM copy?

Now, let's introduce some more numbers. These days, there are
approximately 1 billion PC's in use (which, actually, would explain nicely
Vista's market share of 3.75% in terms of its sales of 37.5 million copies).

Around 2001, the number of PC's was estimated at some 250 million.

So, even with Vista's sales more than doubling those of XP, it's only
*half* as successful when looking at total PC ownership, as the number of
PC's has grown fourfold between 2001 and 2007.

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/