Re: [News] [Linux] Moving to Linux, Wiping Windows for Good

John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

> On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:28:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Ubuntu's Feisty
>
>>| This evening I took the big plunge: I completely wiped Microsoft
>>| Windows XP off my 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop and made it an
>>| Ubuntu linux only machine. Goodbye Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates!
>>| Goodbye! Hello Feisty Fawn, Hello!
>
> Well this sounds good but I wouldn't encourage anyone to simply
> wipe off their OS.  How about a dual boot, spare machine or at least
> image the active partition.

The original author of this piece had been dual booting since Nov '06.
they finally decided that they no longer needed the XP side of the dual
boot and so wiped it.

I agree that it is better for a new user to dual boot or have a spare
machine to experiment with linux, but in this case, that's exactly what
has happened.

> I think the move to Linux for most users needs to be a transitional
> process. Just dumping XP might leave some end users in a big
> bind.

But at some stage, the user will be happy with linux, and at that point,
they will probably want to dump Windows to free up some disk space.