Re: OT - Physical Hard-drive Errors

>>> Bad sectors. Yesterday my system would not even boot. The latest
>>> automated backup (2007-06-14) was complete, but it seems to have been
>>> contaminated (with errors). The previous tape archive (2007-06-11) was
>>> fine, so I scp'ed the 'diffs' of important files while I could... which
>>> I'm glad I did. All in all, all I lost are a few outgoing E-mails (I
>>> pop), which I sort of received back in a reply with quoted bits.
>>>

>> Ah, okay... good luck!
>
> It's not worth the effort really. I no longer mind keeping record of things
> that I write/read. The Internet is too vast for this and information
> becomes distributed (a cloud), Just consider programs like Google Earth
> where some back end contains the data, which can be a vast amount of 3-D
> information about your neighbourhood. Knowledge centralised in Wikis is
> another good examples. Whose text is it? Does one care?

It's a really interesting point, and indicative of how the world is
changing.  So long as knowledge remains publicly available, that
approach is the best one to take.  Should there be yet another effort to
proprietarise it by the Windows Zealots, then we might have problems in
the future.  I think my drive to hang on to information is based on the
experience of how much information tends to disappear from the world!