Re: [News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy

<snip>
> It may seem harmless now, but I hate to
> think what will/might happen 10 years from now. If back in 1980 someone told
> you that all popular software would be binary, expensive, and suitable for one
> single architecture, you would not have believed him/her, right?

And yet we have people in *this very newsgroup* arguing in favour of
precisely this, indeed, arguing /against/ GPLv3 because it might prevent
this from happening.

In the meantime, sat at the desk next to me is a dual-boot MacPPC
machine, which can only do OpenGL in OSX, because nVidia will not
provide proper drivers for Linux.  They only provide binary and suitable
for one single architecture, and this is today, in the 2000s, now how
many people believe me?