Re: [News] [Rival] Big Companies to Forbid Consumer's Backup, Blame Piracy

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 29 June 2007 17:12 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 27 Jun 2007 04:26:44 +0100
> <2129387.3mjyhJ0z4Z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 27 June 2007 01:44 : \____
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

>>> "Happy Birthday To You" is a copyrighted song!!!
>>>
>>> That's just perverse.

>> Who will police? Either way, maybe it's time to produce some 'libre' songs.
>> When even 'culture' becomes patentable (own-able), then we're in serious
>> trouble.
>>

> http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html
>
> :-)
>
> Clever, actually.  Apparently "Sadi Moma", the original
> tune, is public domain (it's a Bulgarian folk song);
> Richard Stallman merely had to write the lyrics.  The
> above page suggests several already-done adaptations.
>
> Unknown whether there's also a free dance, but the
> Wikipedia entry suggests open-circle dancing.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadi_Moma
>
> And of course there's a Youtube entry.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSkCny-HtTw

I'm telling you, Ghost, I'm getting freaked out when I see what America's Big
Media is doing to culture. Hours ago I saw an article that said they now
retaliate against Prince because he gave free CDs to the Brits. They kill Web
radio, they kill P2P, they tax the Web, they crack down on barber shops that
play some music... they want to dry up /any/ kind of music (no matter how
legitimate it is) so that every person (no matter how poor) is forced to pay
for.... folklore. This is outrageous, don't you think? Greed does not know any
bounds. Maybe they'll start charging you to enter shopping malls because
there's some background music too. Meanwhile, it seems like digital radios
adopt some freaky DRM 'features'. It may seem harmless now, but I hate to
think what will/might happen 10 years from now. If back in 1980 someone told
you that all popular software would be binary, expensive, and suitable for one
single architecture, you would not have believed him/her, right?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie