MS with holding "protected mode" info from Lotus ..

Date 3 may 1989 10:43 est
Via; vax
To: vax LARRY::COCONNOR
Cc: vax FKING, FINGARI, FMOSS, DREED, CYOUNG
Subject: Re: VCPI & MSFT

..

As most of you know, I have been trading phone calls with the following three M'spfties:

Ross Warner (in charge of Windows and DOS business unit)
Phill Barrett (Development manager, Windows)
Tom Lennon (some marketing role under Russ)

..

I had gotten earlier this year the spec fr "protected mode" backdoors in Windows, under our CDA with Microsoft, along with working prototype code.

I also had a promise to receive an update from them "in April" (of Bets Windows 3 software, and interface specs for the "back door")

This update has not come, and now that is it May I have called Phil and Russ to check on it.

I spoke to Phil yesterday ( a very chilly phone call), and he said we were "probably on the Windows 3 SDK list, and that is in Mfg."

He did not want to discuss the subject of our earlier discussions about the "back door", which they called the "protected mode virtual machine" capability. Nor did he want to tell me what they have decided about 286 support of protected mode (as opposed to 386 support), which they had also had running in prototype form.

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/0000/PX00094.pdf