Re: [News] Using Bluetooth Devices to Manage Linux Privileges

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 March 2007 22:44 \__

http://www.goitexpert.com/en/index.cfm/2007/2/25/Use-Your-Bluetooth-Cell-Phone-as-a-Proximity-Card-for-your-Laptop
>> http://tinyurl.com/ypc8ga
>>
>> For all I know, the Thinkpad's fingerprint-based authentication works
>> under Linux as well.
>
> This is a very interesting idea.  Of course, as with all security
> systems, there are potential drawbacks, ..

Yes, that's what I said in Digg.

> ... but even so, I'd say that this
> approach looks pretty good.  Let's face it, though, anything will be
> more secure than HMG's plan to fingerprint all children 11+.  I wonder
> how long before someone has found out how to leave a false fingerprint
> trail?

We use fingerprints to sign in at the health club, but the idea of doing
anything critical to identify a person in this way is just plain scary. As a
child, I once watched this Van Damme movie where he peels off his finger's
skin and sets up some McGyver-like hack to sign in while he escapes a
facility. How long before the HMG's plans leads to some people's fingers (or
hands, or arms) being cut off? Crime knows no boundaries and making use of
flesh and anatomy for access is careless thinking. Iris recognition might be
better in this respect. This happens to intersect with my research although
I concentrate on face recogntion and MR images.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
roy      pts/5                         Mon Mar  5 05:26 - 05:30  (00:03)