Re: [News] Windows and DST: Failure Stories Abound

John Locke <johnlocke98513@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 03:34:53 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>One could conveniently blame the competence of the programmers and their
>>level of familiarity with the code (many have left) [1], but I suspect that
>>the code just isn't sufficiently modular. Even Microsoft's mouthpiece
>>(Funkenbusch) admitted that it's true. Why else would Vista require 60% of
>>its existing codebase to have the rewrite brush applied [2]?
>>
> I believe this is Microsoft's biggest problem and is compounded by a
> high rate of programmer turnover. It may be their undoing.

I can't see them ever completing the job - I would say that it is far
too complex, and there's too little money to be made from it.  The
project will probably be abandoned in the next year or two, although
officially Microsoft will continue to support it for rather longer.  I
think we're going to see a major tip on the desktop very soon indeed.