Re: [News] Dell Comes Under Fire over Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility Issues

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Thursday 29 March 2007 13:48 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Dell in Vista RAID debacle
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The apparent issue with certain Intel RAID controllers and Microsoft's
>> | latest operating system, Vista - which got its long-awaited retail
>> | release on 30 January 2007 - has been a hotly debated topic in online
>> | forums for several months.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/dell_vista_raid/
>>

> MS didn't give hardware vendors enough information in time for them to have
> drivers ready. But also MS made no provision for using XP drivers until new
> drivers could be written. Very likely it isn't Dell who the users are
> waiting for, it is the raid or mobo software people.
>
> Dell are not the only vendors suffering at the hands of MS's incompetance.
>
> So, what should Dell do, should they stop selling PCs with Vista on, should
> they only offer XP and Linux machines? I wondered how they stood at the
> moment with MS on this so I had a look, I picked a random mid price range
> laptop, went to customize and there is only Vista in the OS list.
>
> Have MS stopped them selling machines with XP? I don't know, but MS and
> their customers can not expect Dell to stop trying to sell PCs while they
> wait for a mess that isn't of their making to be sorted out. It is because
> of Vista and MS that the various vendors have not got drivers ready. So, I
> would say MS have a duty to sort this out for it's users.
>
> I couldn't blame Dell for this one.

I can't imagine that this refelects well on the relationship and trust
between the two companies. This may explain why Michael Dell, who has
recently returned, decided to be bold and try something else. He'll be
testing the Linux route and he can give it some real momentum by setting the
proper price and then creating some damand, not just addressing it (the
"Dell recommends Windows XYZ" needs to go).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
Mem:    514480k total,   479700k used,    34780k free,     4012k buffers