Re: Newbie seeking comparison of Linux distros

  • Subject: Re: Newbie seeking comparison of Linux distros
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:01:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ NoStop ] on Sunday 25 March 2007 21:08 \__

> Clive Backham wrote:
>
>> I currently have a home server running Windows 2000, and want to add
>> PVR capabilities to it. I've read far too many horror stories about
>> Windows MCE, so the obvious thing to do is to go for MythTV and
>> rebuild the server as a Linux machine. The trouble is, I'm new to
>> Linux. The only relevant experience I have is that I was a regular
>> System V Unix user about 15 years ago. Can anyone point me at a
>> discussion of the various Linux distros so I can make an informed
>> decision as to which one(s) to try out?
>
> Clive,
>
> Take a look at this. You might find it quite interesting. Watch the video
> as it shows just how capable this system is.
>
> http://linuxmce.com/
>
> Cheers.

Also see this tool:

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I hope they have fixed that tool since the last time I tried it. I second
NoStop's suggestion by the way. But it's just one among half a dozen of this
kind.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Tasks: 114 total,   1 running, 113 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie