Re: [News] Linux Wins Customer's Confidence Owing to Big Vendor Support

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 16:02 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 21 March 2007 12:17 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> We're looking more in the direction of MontaVista at the moment.  I
>>> shan't be doing any more Novell systems.
>>
>> Emptying their pockets, I guess. The issue is, as pointed out in
>> BoyCottNovell comments, is that without Novell, some legacy products have
>> no other solution than Microsoft's. But hey! Guess who's winning in this
>> deal? And rememeber who paid whom...
>
> Are you referring to the NDS stuff?

Well, I know there are solutions other than Microsoft's for this (or at least
hope so), but a CIO will still need to justify the purchase of something
that hasn't a proven record of success, if any record at all. By eliminating
Novell, Microsoft could speed up some migrations to their back room
products, however bad and expensive it may be (monopoly and monoculture
spring to mind).

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz  | Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish session
Tasks: 127 total,   2 running, 120 sleeping,   0 stopped,   5 zombie