Re: [News] [Rival] A Disappointing 'Vista Tax' Refund from Dell

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Rival] A Disappointing 'Vista Tax' Refund from Dell
  • From: Robert Newson <ReapNewsB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 18:25:46 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll wrote:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Windows Vista - the true cost

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway, our efforts proved successful. After a couple of calls to
| customer service on Friday, we obtained a refund from Dell for the
| unwanted software (Vista and MS Works). The big surprise was the
| refund we were offered: a mere GBP17 for Vista and GBP6 for Works.
`----

http://www.bristolwireless.net/news/?p=274

I wonder if Dell get that money back off MS though. There doesn't seem much point in persuing these unless it is MS who pays the money back.

Very much doubt it: I would suspect that the oem licence is based on 'n' bought every month, whether the buyer can sell them on or not, is no concern on MS - that's the buyer's problem.

The fact that you only get back £17 would suggest that that is the "retail" value of the oem licence - whether that is also their cost or slightly higher is a matter of little concern...

Though it does show how much the UK is ripped off: OEM Vista - £17, Retail Vista - £299(ish).

And how much MS /really/ considers an installed Vista to be worth (when pre-installed): If MS want it to be illegal to sell a machine without OS (as it's obviously going to have a pirated copy of Vista installed), then they should only be seeking damages of £17 for each pirate copy installed as that is what it appears to cost to have Vista pre-installed.
--
Outgoing mail certified virus free...
It has gone nowhere near a Windwos machine before my ISP.