Re: [News] [Rival] A Disappointing 'Vista Tax' Refund from Dell

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 09 May 2007 10:18 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Windows Vista - the true cost
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Anyway, our efforts proved successful. After a couple of calls to
>> | customer service on Friday, we obtained a refund from Dell for the
>> | unwanted software (Vista and MS Works). The big surprise was the
>> | refund we were offered: a mere GBP17 for Vista and GBP6 for Works.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.bristolwireless.net/news/?p=274
>>

> I wonder if Dell get that money back off MS though. There doesn't seem much
> point in persuing these unless it is MS who pays the money back.

With these volume licences, I doubt they are obliged to pay anything in
return. But effectively, this should be illegal (at least in Europe). This
is a subtle form of kickbacks. As in, you will only stock our own O/S, or
else expect financial difficulties. As long as there are a few people out
there who are 'hooked' on the software, there will be some demand that leads
to a market trap. It is not a free market. Any vendors that offers Linux has
to be suffocated. And therein lies the trouble with this monopoly. Google is
a more complex case, but choice still exists.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S