Re: [News] [Linux] Demand is Growing for GNU/Linux Skills, Certifications

On Thu, 03 May 2007 11:21:42 +0100, BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Certification on the upswing again
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | After several years of decline, the demand for certification and
>> | training in GNU/Linux and other free software areas is stronger than
>> | ever. That's the general opinion of experts in the field, as they
>> | discuss where certification has been, current course offerings, customer
>> | services, and trends for the future.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | With all this activity and interest in the future, there is little
>> | doubt that, as Lacey says, "We are seeing an up-pick in certification
>> | and the funding sources of open source coming back." Few others in
>> | the industry would argue. Clearly, the certification market is
>> | expanding, and is poised for even more growth in the coming years.
>> `----
>>
>> http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/26/2029245&from=rss
>>

>I have often fancied getting certified for Linux, I have quallifications but
>none of them have the word Linux on them. But when I have looked at those
>courses online they look very basic and the thought of spending a few
>months studying commandline syntax or how to connect to a network, well my
>boredom nerves twitch and I just can't bring myself to sign up to a few
>months of dullosity.
>
>Then of cause there is the point of what is the quallification worth if no
>one who reads my CV has ever heard of it.
>
>I can even do it for free, this company would pay, we have a budget for
>this, plus there's a tax refund that goes with it. A week or so in London
>in a nice hotel would be nice. Is there a sigh colly gist here who could
>get me past the boredom aspect of sitting through lessons on learning how
>to write a profile script or create a user? I also concidered doing a corse
>on english language, but I can't see any use for that.
I guess sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and suffer a little
to reach your goal. My son has shown some interest in this new field
and I am hoping that he will take a shot at it. I'm too old and cranky
to sit through classes, so I'll leave the certification to the young
sprouts.

Whne I was working on IBM 360 minaframes in the early 70s, the only
way you could really learn anything was to take the big thick IBM
manuals home a study them. In those days, they were mostly just
a collection of notes from system engineers. Now that was boring !

London sounds wonderful. Go out and have dinner after classes and then
take a nice long walk. It will help to clear your head and formulate
ideas about where you want to go with your certification.