Re: [News] [Linux] Scott McNealy Says a Quarter of Linux is from Sun

__/ [ [H]omer ] on Saturday 19 May 2007 20:42 \__

> Verily I say unto thee, that owl spake thusly:
>
>> On a related note, I attempted to install Solaris 10 into vmware the other
>> day, and it was an excruciatingly slow process before it finally crapped
>> out.  I actually did a PC install of Solaris (2.6?) back about 1998 or
>> so.  That system ended up being so slow that it was almost unusable.
>> Plus it had no driver for my bog standard 3M ethernet card.  I may give
>> Solaris 10 another try in vmware when I have a whole day to kill for
>> the install.  It's 3 entire cds, so that's gotta take at least a day.
>
> I successfully installed *Open* Solaris under VMWare recently. It wasn't
> excruciatingly slow, but I did find it generally uninspiring. Apparently
> it (along with Java) are going GPL soon, so there's a good chance it'll
> catch up to Linux WRT drivers etc. As for Slowlaris' alleged slowness,
> even that may improve now that more GPL devs will be encouraged to
> contribute.

Contributions will go both ways. Besides, having Sun as GPL endorsement (for
all to see) and active contributor can only help. I don't fear Sun. Their
reputation (reliable software) and certain admiration for the Linux Ways
will reflect positively on all that is POSIX, and Free, and open source.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Vista: as the reputation of "Longhorn" was mucked