Re: [News] [Linux] Microsoft Says It Won't Sue, Wants More Novell-like Deals

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Saturday 19 May 2007 13:09 \__

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199501831

>>> Do those idiots we're gonna pay up just because they're *claiming* to
>>> have patents that OSS might infringe upon? They must be out of their
>>> minds or very desperate.
>>>
>>> Besides, even if they did detail which software infringes on which
>>> patents no payment will be done since the code will simply be changed to
>>> circumvent the patents. And that's only if we think it's a valid claim,
>>> which most likely will not be the case.
>>
>> In his strong rebuttal, Linus shrewdly points out that O/S theory goes
>> back to the 1960s. Microsoft would never wish to mess with IBM -- the
>> company which Gates fears the most.
>>

> Software patents do not apply in the EU, or, in fact, anywhere outside
> Nafta and Oz.  This is just noise.

Have you seen the article that connects Microsoft action with the EU's
conference on patents? In short, some say that Microsoft used the FUD to
encourage the acceptance of software patents in the EU. They say timing was
by no means a coincidence.

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Warning 0x12C: ispell feels tired
  3:05pm  up 20 days 23:27,  6 users,  load average: 1.54, 2.06, 1.69