Re: [News] [Linux] BBC Sets Focus on Linux

__/ [ Richard Rasker ] on Thursday 17 May 2007 11:19 \__

> Op Wed, 16 May 2007 07:22:00 +0100, schreef Mark Kent:

>>> http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/ProgrammeFeature.aspx?id=18&FeatureID=201
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

>> It's a start, but I think the BBC have a way to go before the whole
>> organisation gets to grips with the open-source world.  As far as I
>> know, though, the BBC 3D Weather maps are rendered using a Linux
>> machine.
>
> Yeah, nice, real Linux-friendly BBC there. Until you look at their plans
> for the future:

>  "Potential areas of collaboration include search and navigation,
>   distribution and 'content enablement'."

Oh no. They already use that 'entablement' spin? They try to escape the "DRM"
word to confuse consumer further. At the time of renaming, I used to think
that Longhorn was renamed Vista because of the bad publicity it had earned.

> So what happens if content is distributed and "enabled" (I guess that's
> yet another silly euphemism for "DRM'ed") through Microsoft technology?
> Will Linux users have access?
>
>  "Bill Gates said: "Microsoft's strength is in driving digital innovation,"
>
> Correction: "... copying other people's digital innovation ..."
>
>  "and our vision is to open up rich, new consumer experiences "
>
> As in "we're obscenely rich, and you pay us even more to get strictly
> controlled access to tidbits of content - while we monitor your every
> move, of course"
>
>  "that allow people to enjoy digital content anytime, anywhere and on any
>   device."
>
> Ah, good news at last! "Any device" includes my Linux box, yes?
>

> Richard Rasker

In case it isn't clear, the BBC is in Microsoft's hands now. It doesn't scare
everyone. Some people read the media that's controlled by Microsoft,
thinking that the company is innocent. It's a cyclic trap of media control
if you see what I mean...

--
                ~~ Best regards

everytime you say things like this i just think of that cult of people
who send around .doc files. i dont want to communicate with people who
talk in .doc format, but they do not wish to use something else, so
they discredit those without word. --Ed, c.o.l.a.