Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Myths Are Breaking in India

  • Subject: Re: [News] [Linux] Linux Myths Are Breaking in India
  • From: Hadron Quark <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 02:22:16 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:tjAE3JGzTnoFupJJkhdqa+aTE2g=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> __/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Tuesday 22 May 2007 11:17 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> __/ [ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 20 May 2007 07:29
>>> \__

>>> It (sort of) upsets me sometimes when people prepare Ubuntu Linux
>>> tutorials which use apt-get and other command line utilities. Why do
>>> they do this? Because it's quicker and its makes some people look more
>>> sophisticated (or maybe they target a particular audience). At the
>>> same time, this gives the wrong impression to those exploring Linux
>>> from afar or search the Web for a solution. The GUI is right there, so
>>> it's a bit like showing someone how 'easy' Java is by demonstrating an
>>> assembly code-like library for programming. Luckily, many tutorials
>>> nowadays as available as videos. The pipes of the Web help a lot.
>>>
>> The reason they tend to use command line methods is that it's less prone
>> to misunderstanding.
>>
>> Saying:
>>
>> "Type: apt-get install xchat"
>>
>> is easier and less prone to problems than:
>>
>> "Click on the menu, go to the system sub menu and click on synaptic,
>> then click on the search button at the bottom left corner of the window
>> that appears, then type xchat in the search box and press enter.  When
>> the xchat package is shown, click on it and then click on the install
>> button."
>>
>> BTW, I don't use Ubuntu or apt-get so some, all or more of the above may
>> be innacurate.
>
> No, it's correct. There are indeed less ambiguities when it comes to the CLI
> and in the case of Linux (with so many distros and versions), a lot tends to
> be universal (package managers being a poor example).

This is complete rubbish.

A well written guide to using a well designed GUI leaves little room for
ambiguity or error.

It's why GUI's are considered useful. And its why standards exist. Its
also where LInux distros have been targetting a lot of effort recently -
consistency of look and feel in Gnome/KDE.

Synaptic in particular has some great facilities not least searching,
grouping, ordered sorting of results lists, browsing linked resources
and versions without the need to remember command line syntax.

The command line can be useful when you know the name of the package
involved and just want to simply

sudo apt-get install myapp

--
#if _FP_W_TYPE_SIZE < 32
#error "Here's a nickel kid.  Go buy yourself a real computer."