[News] Mandriva Laptops Impress (and Back on Nigeria's Agenda)

  • Subject: [News] Mandriva Laptops Impress (and Back on Nigeria's Agenda)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 20:41:03 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

And the Nigerian government chose Windows [It didn't] why?

,----[ Quote ]
| That’s precisely what Nigeria did. Having used the Classmate with Mandriva
| installed, I simply can’t find any flaws in the system that would lead to
| such a switch. No deficiencies compared to Windows, no performance problems,
| no installation problems, nothing. Mandriva just works in this setting and
| works well. No wonder François Bancilhon was angry.
`----

http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1338

As Mike pointed out, Nigeria is back to GNU/Linux...

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are sticking with that platform," said the official, who would not give
| his name.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124
http://tinyurl.com/27ycq9

Sadly, it still runs on Intel hardware. That's the company that fought charity
and is now working alongside Microsoft to fight Free software Linux in Russian
education. Very evil.

Related:

Living with Mandriva 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| This is currently my favorite popular distro. From a practical standpoint, I
| feel it is better than Windows Vista. I don’t say that as a Linux slappy.
| Looking at it from an angle of which OS enables me to do the things I need to
| do day in and day out, Mandriva shines. My next article will compare Vista
| and Mandriva 2008 in depth, and I will convince you why 2008 wins.
`----

http://www.linuxtechdaily.com/2007/10/living-with-mandriva-2008/

A look at Mandriva Linux 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| There were aspects of this Mandriva release that I really liked, such as the
| installer and the Control Center but overall the system didn't really grab
| me. It is quite a decent, well put-together operating system with all the
| basics and a few extras like the Control Center and 3D desktop effects. It
| was stable and ran well, but on the whole it didn't seem to offer anything
| exciting enough to make me want to switch to the distribution permanently.
| For the seasoned Mandriva user, I get the impression this will be quite a
| worthy upgrade, but as for me I'm going to check back when the next release
| arrives.
|
| 8 "Smarties" out of 10.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071022#review

Mandriva Linux 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall Score: 8.5
`----

http://rjdohnert.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/mandriva-linux-2008/

Mandriva Linux 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| If you hate the word Ubuntu and just dont like the system, Mandriva works
| well and the PowerPack contains everything you need unlike the Ubuntu default
| install.
`----

http://rjdohnert.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/mandriva-linux-2008/

Battle of the Titans: Mandriva 2008 vs openSUSE 10.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall Winner
|
| In our little just-for-fun comparison, we the judges find that Mandriva wins
| by 4 categories to 2. But to the original question the answer would be to go
| buy the Mandriva Power Pack or try PCLOS or ALT Linux in which advanced power
| saving feature do work out of the box. Also, YMMV.
|
| However, don't forget that both openSUSE and Mandriva are both nice distros.
| This little article is highly subjective and you may not agree. That's okay.
| I love them both.
|
| Winner: Mandriva 2008.0
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21155

Mandriva 2008.0 rocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva 2008.0 seems to be a splendid release. Since setup I've not
| experienced any problems. My system is fast, responsive, and stable. The new
| artwork is gorgeous, and the fonts look great as well. I was pleased with the
| hardware support, especially the powersaving features. I can play any
| multimedia file format I have, and watch Flash videos on the Web.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119783

Mandriva Linux PowerPack 2008.0 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Like I usually say when Mandriva is at the apex of its release cycle, this is
| desktop Linux as it should be. It's as advanced and complex as you need it to
| be, and as automatic as most people would like it to be. Unlike nearly every
| other desktop-oriented OS, with Mandriva I never run into incidents where the
| automatic parts of the system interfere with my intentions for desktop
| operation.
`----

http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/86/

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/