[News] 'CDF Foundation' Betrayed by Its Own 'Supporters', OOXML Acid Test Ahead

  • Subject: [News] 'CDF Foundation' Betrayed by Its Own 'Supporters', OOXML Acid Test Ahead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 20:35:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Putting the OpenDocument Foundation to Bed (without its supper)

,----[ Quote ]
| The most astonishing piece was written by ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley.  Early on in
| her article she stated that, "the ODF camp might unravel before Microsoft’s
| rival Office Open XML (OOXML) comes up for final international
| standardization vote early next year."  All because Gary, Sam and Marbux have
| decided that ODF does not meet their needs.  Astonishing indeed, given that
| there is no available evidence to support such a prediction.
|
| [...]
|
| Here's where things stand today:
|
|     * The Foundation's former members are not supporting Gary, Sam and Marbux
|     * No one has spoken up to support their view of CDF as an alternative
|     * They are not working with the W3C at this time, and no one at W3C is
|       working with CDF in the manner they are proposing
|     * CDF is not an appropriate substitute for ODF
|     * The CDF working group is not chartered to provide what Gary, Sam and
|     Marbux want to try and accomplish, even assuming that what they want is
|     technically possible
|
| All of which takes us back to the question, What were Gary, Sam and Marbux
| thinking?
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20071109070012244

The important part is the one where CDF people THEMSELVES say that CDF cannot
replace ODF. ODF gets support from everyone. On the other hand, there's the
format that's associated with fraud and bribery.

1. OOXML Ballot Resolution Meeting Questions and Answers

,----[ Quote ]
| Though I’ve written about this before, I continue to be amazed that there
| does not seem to be a single, unambiguous, and logically complete description
| of what will happen at the OOXML Ballot Resolution Meeting (BRM) in Geneva at
| the end of February.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1921

Related:

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]
| However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
| include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
| Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
| that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
| through.

The OOXML Odyssey: Reader Outrage Edition

`----

http://reddevnews.com/blogs/weblog.aspx?blog=1238#1