Re: [News] Microsoft/Novell Clone-ware the Wrong Route

Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
Verily I say unto thee, that Jeffrey Stedfast spake thusly:
[snip]
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-June/msg00428.html

I'm not sure what this has to do with me

Just FYI, that's all. Since you seem to be one of those dedicated to
spreading the infection of Mono, I thought you'd be interested to know
that it is slowly becoming inextricable from Gnome. I assume from your
indifferent response that you're not denying that fact then?

I wouldn't know. I've only worked on a handful of GNOME applications and none of them depend on Mono and as far as I'm aware, there is no push to make GNOME depend on Mono - at least not by Novell or myself.

I'm personally not interested in pushing Mono - use it if you like, don't if you don't. It really makes no difference to me.

but a quick google of the problem reveals that someone not affiliated
with myself nor Novell added the libbeagle dependency to Yelp.

Well naturally, since Yelp is a *Gnome* project. The fact is that
libbeagle is now a Yelp dependency, regardless of who committed the crime.

Then why the personal attacks toward me? Were you just trying to show me how abusive and full of hate Linux Advocates such as yourself are?

Does that serve your purpose well, Keith G. Robertson-Turner? Does it help convince people to switch to Linux, where they are likely to be berated for having slight differences in opinion with you?

Somehow I doubt it.

You would have realized this, too, had you spent 30 seconds doing a little fact-checking.

A little more "fact-checking" reveals that this problem (that you
apparently know nothing about) seems to be affecting a number of other
distros too:

OpenSUSE:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-commit/2007-09/msg00634.html

Ubuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio/+bug/114957/comments/7

Fedora 7 (confirmed infection):
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=262838

Madriva (this guy is *really* not happy about libbeagle infecting his
system):
http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/09/06/07/24/16-2-minutes-about-copernic

Apparently this infection has been spreading for a while, starting as
far back as April 2006:
http://www.lyricswithoutmelody.org/beagle/?p=12

No, actually *January* 2006:
http://www.lyricswithoutmelody.org/beagle/?p=11

I'm sure it's all just coincidental though.

What's this got to do with anything?

Is your point that a handful of people are upset that they have Mono on their systems? What about the rest of the users who seemingly either don't mind or actually /want/ Mono?

For those that don't want Mono, I would agree, it should be possible for them to not install Mono, but other than the OpenSuSE distro, Novell does not control any of these distros nor does it control the direction of GNOME (afaik, Novell currently holds 0 positions in the GNOME Foundation board).

Once again, let me just extend my warm thanks, for your participation in
poisoning the Free Software tree with Microsoft IP.

This is a pretty serious accusation... one which cannot be taken lightly, so I take it you must have done the necessary research to discover what Microsoft IP I've personally injected into Free Software or you wouldn't be making such outlandish claims.

Care to elaborate a little? Would this be Copyright IP? Or Patent IP? Would you also care to tell me what code and/or patents I've infringed?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Listing the specific IP that I (or even Novell) have infringed would go a long way toward reaching your personal goal of discrediting me/Novell as well as saving the Free Software community from IP lawsuits, so you really have no excuse for not revealing this information... unless of course, you are making unsubstantiated claims (which, I might add, is considered libel).

I bid thee well,

Jeff