[News] Sony Playstation Game Uses Free Software, Violates GPL

  • Subject: [News] Sony Playstation Game Uses Free Software, Violates GPL
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:07:52 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
PlayStation 2 Game ICO Violates the GPL

| "Apparently the video game ICO for the Playstation 2 is using GPL-licensed
| code from libarc. Sony could end up having to release the source code for the
| entire game!"
`----

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/28/0328215&from=rss

Related and recent:

ASUS eeePC: First impressions and GPL violations

,----[ Quote ]
| What you won't find on that site are sources. ASUS is bound by the GPL to
| make the sources for the software they're distributing available, even if
| they have not modified them. (Check the license if you don't believe me.)
| ASUS has posted a 1.8GB ZIP file on their website that they claim is the
| sources, but it's not -- it contains a few .debs (not even the versions that
| ship on the machine) and some kernel headers. (Perhaps they figured nobody
| would pull 1.8GB from their slow-as-molasses site and find out.)
`----

http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/2007/11/asus-eeepc-first-impressions-and-gpl.html

ASUSTek is committed to meet the requirements of the GNU General Public License

,----[ Quote ]
| The open source code for EeePC is available here. To download the source code
| of all open source software packages that are included in the product, follow
| the steps listed below.
|
| [...]
|
| Asus is also pleased to announce the upcoming release of the Eee PC SDK.
`----

http://eeepc.asus.com/en/news11272007.htm

In Defense of The GPL

,----[ Quote ]